ITS NOT BIG AND ITS NOT CLEVER
So the rain has hit the Bury and Bolton region yet again, the River Irwell is rising and the signs of the flooding are appearing once again, making driving treacherous.
I see so many videos on facebook of people driving through water that really is a little too deep to call a puddle. Although it may seem like fun to drive through the water but trust me. For instance did you know its illegal to splash somebody as you drive through a puddle, its classified as “Careless Driving”
“”Since 2013 careless driving can be dealt with by a Fixed Penalty Notice with a £100 fine and three penalty points. “If, however, they refuse [the notice] then they will face a magistrate who could impose a fine up to £5,000, although the maximum is very unlikely.”
I know that sometimes its hard not to go out driving, jobs need doing etc. Before you do go out ask yourself, is your journey really necessary and will you actually be able to complete the job in hand anyway. For example only today the M66 was closed due to flooding would you have completed your journey ?
What most people don’t take into consideration is what damage the water may be doing to there car ?
This might sound really daft, but did you know driving through any puddle (never mind flood water) WILL PUT WATER INTO YOUR BRAKES !!!! Now why would you want to do that.
Driving through deep water could easily…….
- FLOOD THE EXHAUST, CAUSING THE ENGINE TO STOP
- FIND ITS WAY INTO THE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM CAUSING SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE
HOW TO DRIVE THROUGH FLOOD WATER
- Drive in first gear as slowly as possible but keep the engine speed high and steady by slipping the clutch.
- If the engine speed is too low, you might stall.
- If you go too fast, you could create a bow wave. Water will flood the engine and it could cut out
- Once you have cleared the flood water, make sure you test your brakes !!!!!!, they will need drying out. Whatever you do don’t leave it until you have to stop and then find out you can’t stop .
I hope you have found this short post useful.
Graham Owner – Get Driving Today
GET IN TOUCH TODAY
T: 01204 265055
TXT / WHATSAPP 07772843239